Ciao! (I´ve added a bit in English at the end- Ross)
voglio raccontarvi in breve un´altra storia dell orrore notturna. Saro´breve perche si commenta da sola e perche, tuttora, la sto metabolizzando lentamente e non ho molte parole.
L altroieri ero di guardia all ospedale, alle due suona il campanello e entra una signora, amzi una ragazzina, che e´in travaglio di parto...compiliamo un modulo seduti e poi l infermiera la fa accomodare sul lettino ginecologico... dopo un paio di passi sentiamo un tonfo e il neonato e´caduto a terra tra i piedi della donna....mi lancio sul neonato che perfortuna piange subito...il cordone ombelicale si e´rotto nella caduta, lo clampo e asciugo e sistemo la neonata, che sembra sana, anche la sua testolina sembra integra...intanto arriva l ostetrica che si occupa della mamma. Poco dopo la mamma inizia a complicarsi, ha la preeclampsia, la pressione alle stelle e rischia di iniziare a convulsvare da un momento all altro. Per di piu sanguina tantissimo dalle lacerazioni del parto a caduta libera.....il farmaco che le mettiamo per prevenire le convulsioni le scatena una risposta idiosincrasica per cui la pressione le crolla e la frequenza cardiaca le scende sotto a 30...e´in poeriarresto e facciamo rapidamente calcio gluc e atropina, per contrastare l effetto del sulfato di magnesio...si riprende....alle 7 vado a casa lasciando un pronto soccorso che sembra un campo di battaglia...anche stavolta non e´morto nessuno ma l immagine del neonato che cade da tra le gambe della mamma stara con me tutta la vita di questo sono certa...ma le due sono tranquille e beate nel loro letto ora.
Per il resto va tutto bene! Non siamo piu andati a correre in altura. Domani abbiamo in programma di scendere alla costa a prendere un po di calura.
Stiamo bene e siamo contenti! Ross ha delle mani piene d calli che non si possono vedere!!! con tutta polvere di contruzione nella pelle e le unghie rotte....poverino! Pero io lo spalmo di crema in ogni momento possibile!
Hello english loves, just briefely another horror tale that probalbly you wont believe....I still have problems believing it myself.
Last night was on call sleeping in the hospital, nurse woke me up at 2 am with a pregnant patient that was in labor. I called the midwife and in the meanwhile walked the lady to the bed....three steps and the newborn falls to the ground from below the skirt of the lady between her feet... she jumps away, I jumped on the baby that was luckily screaming from the moment she touched the floor, the cord was broken from the fall, caught the baby and clamped the cord, and the baby was well. even her head! incredibly. Later on, the mum complicated , was preeclam,ptic and had a terrible reaction to the drug administered to lower her blood pressure, and nearly arrested on me. I ended my shift trembling and still get goosebumps evrytime I think of it...The bright side is that mum and baby are fine now. And the little girl who came to the world a bit hardly is gorgeous and healthy. I really find it incredible.
God bless the labour ward guys.
xxx
Hello all, this is Ross, I don´t have any tales as good as Adele´s I´m afraid but I am well and working hard! We´ve started building a new house, in a place that makes Zumbahua seem like a metropolis. To get there, we first drove for half an hour up into the mountains (8 of us, with a load of 150 breeze blocks), and then stopped. I asked Mauro where the site was, and he pointed across the valley- about 2 km away, straight down to a little stream and then straight back up again. At this altitude the walk alone is quite hard, let alone carrying anything. At most we managed to take 3 or 4 blocks with us, so we spent the whole day traipsing up and down the valley, between the site and the car. The family we´re building for is the poorest I´ve ever seen, two children, their mother and the grandmother who are currently living in a tiny tent made of straw- it´s very sad to see people living in such conditions, but at the same time nice to be able to do at least something to help. At a certain point, when we were all sprawled next to the pile of bricks having just carried a load of 3 or 4 each, the mother passed us carrying 10 on her back!! And she was about as tall as I am when I sit down! The locals have such hard lives that they have a physical strength that makes us Westerners seem feeble.
Then the next day the school where I am working received the annual éducation plan´from the government in Quito, outlining all of the elaborate knowledge of the English language that the students are supposed to have learned by now- many of these children live in conditions not much better than those described above, and have problems even speaking Spanish, let alone English! Quito seems about a million miles away from here, and in a lot of ways the people there and the people here live in completely different worlds, or completely different centuries.
Hope everyone at home is keeping well, happy birthday Roger!
Ross
Nessun commento:
Posta un commento